Q. What is The Art of Brooklyn?
A. The Art of Brooklyn is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the art and culture of the Borough. The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival is a unique event that brings Brooklyn’s celebrated film and media makers together with their peers across the country and around the world. We also produce Brooklyn On Demand, the only streaming platform dedicated to Brooklyn-centric indie film.
Q. What's the best way to submit my film or screenplay?
The Art of Brooklyn prefers online entries of films and screenplays submitted via Film Freeway, which provides cost-saving, paperless submission to film festivals around the world.
Q. Can I submit my film or screenplay if I don’t live in Brooklyn?
A. Yes! Everyone everywhere is welcome to enter.
Q. Can I submit a film that isn’t finished yet?
A. Yes. We will accept unfinished films for pre-selection but in order to make it into the Festival all submissions must be complete by May 1, 2021.
Q. What kinds of films does The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival screen?
A. The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival screens films in all genres.
Q. What kinds of screenplays does The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival accept?
A. Unproduced scripts of 120 pages or less, all genres, film or TV format.
Q. Can I submit in more than one category?
A. Yes. But each submission requires a separate entry fee.
Q How much is it to submit?
A. See Entry Fees and Deadlines here.
Q. Who are the judges?
A. Our Guest Festival Director (which changes each year to keep things fresh) heads a programming committee who watches every submission and curates the Festival. A panel of industry professionals select winners in each category (except Audience Choice.) See our current judges here.
Q. When will you let me know if my film is chosen for the Festival?
A. Our notification date for the 2021 Festival is May 12, 2023.
Q. Will you let me know if I don’t get in to the Festival?
A. Yes. You will receive notice some time after we make our selections.
Q. Where and when does the Festival take place?
A. The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival has screening locations around the Borough and we also screen virtually on the Eventive platform.
Q. How do I join the mailing list for the Festival?
A. Click HERE to sign up for our Filmmakers Newsletter list.
Q. Can I volunteer at the Festival?
A. Yes, we always need reliable, enthusiastic volunteers! Please email us and write VOLUNTEER in the subject line.
AoBFF Rules + Terms
- The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival programs all genres including comedy, drama, documentary, animation, horror, sci-fi, music video and experimental. Our Film Screening Panel —led by our Festival Director— views all submissions and selects the films we program. We guarantee that ALL films and screenplays submitted will be considered up until midnight of the final day of submissions. A Judging Panel of industry professionals selects award-winning films in each category and our winning screenplay.
- The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival strongly prefers to program premieres, especially for features, but will consider all films submitted.
- All film submissions must include an online screener. Screenplays must be uploaded in PDF form only.
- All filmmakers must have a screening-quality digital exhibition format available. We always screen directly from filmmakers' files. (No DVDs or Blu-Ray.)
- If your film is accepted, you will be solely responsible for delivering exhibition materials to us and from the festival venue. The Art of Brooklyn cannot be held liable for any materials that are lost or damaged.
- Payment made by credit card via the online submission platform is preferred.
- All submission fees must be paid via credit card or PayPal. Festival dates are subject to change. ALL SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
By submitting my film, I allow it to be screened at The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival if accepted.
The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any accepted film for any promotional purposes. (Print, press, online.)
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless The Art of Brooklyn from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
By entering (submitting to) The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival, entrants release and hold the The Art of Brooklyn, its Board of Directors, Officers, Staff and Volunteers harmless from and against all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation with the competition or participation in any competition related activity.
By entering (submitting to) to The Art of Brooklyn Festival you are granting the right for The Art of Brooklyn to screen your film publicly one to two times in the next twelve months (depending on the festival entered).
By entering (submitting to) The Art of Brooklyn Festival you are admitting that you have read, understood and agreed to follow our Rules and Regulations for festival submission and to abide by our Terms and Conditions of service and our general festival Rules and Regulations.
Failure to comply with The Art of Brooklyn guidelines, rules, regulations, or eligibility will be cause for disqualification and can result in having your film pulled from screening or competition.
All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
RULES SPECIFICALLY FOR SCREENPLAY SUBMISSIONS:
- Screenplays cannot be submitted over 120 pages without festival permission. Screenplays can be in any format (Feature, TV, Short) as long as they do not exceed the page limit.
- Screenplays submitted must not have been previously sold or produced unless said sale or production was completed with no financial gain to the writer.
- All deadlines are at 11:59pm PST on the date listed. Any deadline alteration or promotion of any kind does not make any entry valid of a refund of any kind.
- There are no refunds for any submitted screenplay. Coupons may not be applied to previously submitted scripts.
- There is no limit on the number of scripts a writer or writing team may submit.
- Prizes are award per script and teams of writers are expected to divide prizes on their own accord.
- The decision of the judges will be final and cannot be contested in any manner. There is no score on a scorecard that guarantees advancement to the next level as advancement will be based on all score in the competition.
- The contest reserves the right to delay announcements for any reason. Delay may last up to but never more than 90 days. While we never anticipate any delays, such delays will not alter the standing of any screenplay entry and will qualify no script for a refund under any circumstance.
- By submitting to the contest you are releasing your script to the film festival and its partners, and holding harmless the festival or any affiliates from any claims, expenses, and liabilities, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, copyright, libel, trademark infringement, slander, personal property infringement, etc.